FHRS for International Electrophysiologists
The Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS) credential exemplifies advanced training, certification and commitment to the field of electrophysiology.
FHRS will help to distinguish you among health care providers and researchers for your advanced training, certification, and commitment to the field of electrophysiology. It will clarify the referral process and serve as a credential for quality care among health care providers, patients, the media, and government. As a result, it will help you to publicize your skill in the treatment and/or research of heart rhythm disorders.
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Materials
- Application Process
- Frequently Asked Questions about FHRS
Note: Electrophysiologists who trained in Canada may also apply using the ABIM/AOBIM-certified Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiologist criteria if those criteria are met.
To meet the criteria for Fellowship in the Heart Rhythm Society as an International Electrophysiologist (EP), you must*:
- Hold current membership with the Heart Rhythm Society as a International Physician member. Not a member? Join now!
- Have performed a minimum of 150 intracardiac, catheter-based ablation procedures or device-related procedures during training and/or in the first two years after completion of training, or in the previous three years of practice
- Have completed training and practiced EP/pacing for at least two years after completion of training
- Demonstrate EITHER
Certification in EP/Pacing by ABIM, IBHRE, EHRA or equivalent organizations
- At least 75 percent of clinical practice devoted to heart rhythm disorders PLUS one of the following
- Have performed a minimum of 300 intracardiac, catheter-based ablation procedures or device-related procedures during training and/or in the first two years after completion of training, or in the previous three years of practice
- Have authored at least 10 publications, including 5 as first author
- Have served at least one term as a volunteer on an HRS or IBHRE committee, sub-committee or writing group
- Certification in EP/Pacing by ABIM, IBHRE, EHRA or equivalent organizations
- A letter by you documenting how you meet the criteria below
- A copy of your Curriculum vitae/résumé/biosketch
- Two letters of support from current FHRS members
- One letter confirming 12 months of U.S. ABIM-equivalent CCEP training and professional activities (view the ABIM CCEP training, procedural and clinical competence requirements
) from EITHER:
- Your former training program director OR
The person who is now the program director at the institution where you received your training
- Your current clinical or administrative supervisor
Completed applications from eligible candidates are considered by the Member Relations Committee. Please allow approximately four weeks for the Committee to consider your request.
Applications are accepted and considered throughout the year. FHRS status is conferred immediately upon approval by the Member Relations Committee.
The deadline for submitting a completed FHRS application in time for recognition at the next Scientific Sessions is March 31. After that date, you can be approved for FHRS status but it may be too late for recognition at Scientific Sessions.