FHRS for Scientists & Physician Researchers
The Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS) credential exemplifies advanced training, certification and commitment to the field of electrophysiology.
FHRS will help to distinguish you among health care providers and researchers for your advanced training, certification, and commitment to the field of electrophysiology. It will clarify the referral process and serve as a credential for quality care among health care providers, patients, the media, and government. As a result, it will help you to publicize your skill in the treatment and/or research of heart rhythm disorders.
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Materials
- Application Process
- Frequently Asked Questions about FHRS
To meet the criteria for Fellowship in the Heart Rhythm Society as a Scientist or Physician Researcher, you must*:
- Hold current membership with the Heart Rhythm Society (Not a member? Join now!
) as EITHER a
- Physician member who now functions mainly as a researcher with a small amount of clinical activity and either
- is not eligible for ABIM CCEP status or
- did complete an EP fellowship but did not achieve ABIM CCEP status.
- Note: If applying using Option B, you can apply for physician FHRS status using the scientist criteria below, provided that you completely fulfill all other requirements and standards associated with a scientist applying for FHRS status.
- Scientist member
- Have a PhD, MD or equivalent
- Hold a full-time faculty position at an academic institution with an equivalent rank of assistant professor or higher
- Devote at least 50 percent of your professional activity to heart rhythm research
- Show independent capability as a scientist, demonstrated by one of the following:
- Five or more publications on heart rhythm disorders, of which at least one is as the primary or senior author
- Functioning as a PI on a funded extramural grant from government agency or professional organization intended for independent investigators
- A letter by you documenting how you meet the criteria above
- A copy of your Curriculum vitae/résumé/biosketch
- Two letters of support from current FHRS members
Completed applications from eligible candidates are considered by the Member Relations Committee. Please allow approximately four weeks for the Committee to consider your request.
Applications are accepted and considered throughout the year. FHRS status is conferred immediately upon approval by the Member Relations Committee.
The deadline for submitting a completed FHRS application in time for recognition at the upcoming Scientific Sessions is March 31. After that date, you can be approved for FHRS status but it may be too late for recognition at Scientific Sessions.