FHRS for Cardiac Surgeons
FHRS eligibility criteria and application for Cardiac Surgeons
The Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society (FHRS) credential exemplifies advanced training, certification and commitment to the field of electrophysiology. FHRS will help to distinguish you among health care providers and researchers for your advanced training, certification, and commitment to the field of electrophysiology. It will clarify the referral process and serve as a credential for quality care among health care providers, patients, the media, and government. As a result, it will help you to publicize your skill in the treatment and/or research of heart rhythm disorders.
Below is information about:
- Eligibility Criteria
- Application Materials
- Application Process
- Frequently Asked Questions about FHRS
To meet the criteria for Fellowship in the Heart Rhythm Society as a Cardiac Surgeon, you must*:
- Hold current membership with the Heart Rhythm Society as a Physician. Not a member?Â Join now!
- Have completed two years of practice after training in the same hospital.
- Have conducted 100 ablation procedures or CIED-related procedures:
- in training and/or the first two years after training, or
- in the previous three years of practice
- Fulfill one of the following:
- Currently devotes 20 percent of clinical practice to heart rhythm disorders, or
- Currently performs at least 50 ablative or CIED-related procedures per year
- Meet one of the following:
- Authored five papers published in a peer-reviewed journal with at least one heart rhythm or CIED related paper
- Served at least one term on an HRS or IBHRE committee, subcommittee, or writing group, has been an invited speaker at the HRS annual meeting, or presented an abstract or poster at the HRS Scientific Sessions
- Hold certification by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, International Board of Heart Rhythm Examiners, or equivalent certification in the country where currently practicing.
- A completed application form
- A letter by you documenting how you meet the criteria above
- A copy of your Curriculum vitae, resume or biosketch
- Two letters of support from current FHRS members
Completed applications from eligible candidates are considered by the Member Relations Committee. Please allow approximately four weeks for the Committee to consider your request. Applications are accepted and considered throughout the year. FHRS status is conferred immediately upon approval by the Member Relations Committee. The deadline for submitting a completed FHRS application in time for recognition at the upcoming Scientific Sessions is March 31. After that date, you can be approved for FHRS status but it may be too late for recognition at Scientific Sessions.
* The Society recognizes that we have a diverse membership with a variety of training and career paths. If you do not appear to be eligible for FHRS but would still like to be considered, you may petition the Member Relations Committee for review. Please contact membership@HRSonline.org for details.
Frequently Asked Questions about FHRS