The Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) is pleased to announce the launch of our newest leadership program,
Growth and Leadership Opportunity for Black Electrophysiologists (GLOBE).
HRS is the leading membership society and the voice for the electrophysiology ecosystem. Our membership boasts nearly 7,500 practitioners in more than 90 countries. Despite tremendous growth in the numbers of electrophysiologists (EPs) entering the field, the number of Black EPs remains disproportionately low.
Black EPs have traditionally been underrepresented at the executive level within the healthcare ecosystem. Furthermore, representation of Black EPs at national heart rhythm-related symposia and meetings, research consortia, and in heart rhythm related publications is unbalanced. In health care, this underrepresentation has implications for improving inclusivity and decision-making, for addressing issues related to access and well-being among underserved communities. This underrepresentation not only impacts the well-being of communities, but it also impacts the well-being of our organization.
This lack of diversity within the EP field presents an opportunity to drive change from within our organization. Our objective is to close this unwanted diversity gap. GLOBE is an executive-level leadership program, expertly curated to support the needs of Black EPs while developing opportunities to increase their visibility within their institutions and the EP ecosystem at large.
GLOBE will provide black electrophysiologists access to peer-to-peer networking, subject matter experts, and coaching to enhance their career trajectory.
As the leading organization for EP leaders, the value of being a part of this career shaping experience is unparalleled.
Program Eligibility & Commitment
GLOBE offers electrophysiologists who identify as Black, the opportunity to enhance their leadership and career development skills through education, coaching, and building professional networks. GLOBE will be delivered as a cohort-based, one-year program that focuses on leadership training, face-to-face networking opportunities, and educational sessions which will provide the knowledge and skills needed to enhance the path of leadership within HRS and academic or private practice medicine. The 2023-2024 GLOBE program is led by Chairs Olujimi A. Ajijola, MD, PhD and Camille G. Frazier-Mills, MD, MHS, CCDS.
The 2023-2024 GLOBE Schedule:
- May 2023 – Reception at Heart Rhythm 2023 (travel expenses to meeting not covered by HRS)
- Summer 2023 – Online Meet-up and Webinar
- September 20-21, 2023 – Leadership Retreat at HRX (all expenses covered by HRS)
- November 2023 – Online Meet-up and Webinar
- Jan 20, 2024 – Half-Day Meeting (expenses not covered by HRS)
- March 2024 - Online Meet-up and Webinar
- April 2024 - Reception at Heart Rhythm 2024 (travel expenses to meeting not covered by HRS)
Complete applications consist of four criteria:
- A completed online application, which includes background and contact information, leadership experience in organized medicine and/or the community, and a 250-word written personal statement describing your health care passions and leadership goals.
- A letter of reference from colleagues (ie: fellow physicians, section leader, division chief, program director, senior administrator other care team members) that speak to the applicant's leadership performance or potential and commitment to continued development.
- A current CV;
- A recent professional photograph or "headshot".
Note: Each of the criteria above must be included/uploaded with the online application. The system will not accept an application without the required files. Please do not email any materials directly.
Applications are evaluated by HRS' GLOBE Workgroup. The workgroup makes its selections based on a variety of metrics, taking into consideration that the candidate has exhibited a commitment to leadership development over time and desires to invest time and energy into further developing their leadership skills. The HRS Workgroup reserves the right to decline application(s) based on its sole and absolute discretion.
Applications for the 2023-2024 GLOBE class are now closed. All applicants will be notified of their application status by March 24, 2023. Applications for the 2024-2025 GLOBE class will open in January 2024
Contact Ashley Martinez at GLOBE@hrsonline.org
This program is supported by: